This Worldwide Pharmaceutical Company Built Their Project Exactly to Internal Specifications by Using APROPLAN
Science-led global healthcare company involved in the business of researching and developing a myriad of innovative medicines and products. It is considered a top company and is part of the Health, Science and Technology Group that invest heavily in research and development in Belgium. Their vaccine unit is headquartered in Wavre which also happens to be their largest biotech research and production complex in the world. The Wavre site has four bulk vaccine manufacturing facilities, a filling unit, and a large packaging facility.
The new vaccines formulation facility project in Wavre was designed according to their internal specifications following strict FDA and WHO good manufacturing practice standards, approved and certified by certain safety boards including the Belgium Certification Body ANPI. The project was completed 22 months after the construction started following collaborative work between them, PM Group, Mercury, and other construction contractors. The “one team” culture and strict compliance to building SOPs were achieved and established partly through document tech solutions employing APROPLAN by Exquando. The collaborative project saved 1.25 million construction man hours without lost time accident (LTA).
HQ Brentford, United Kingdom
The construction of their Vaccines Wavre project was huge and consisted of many phases. It involved a lot of contractors that had to work as one team and thus, had foreseen issues regarding:
- Project reception towards the end of construction specifically in dealing with punch lists: Punch lists itemise work not conforming to contract specifications that particular contractors must complete prior to final payment (that may or may not include incomplete or incorrect installations or incidental damage to existing finishes, material, and structures).
- Project documentation and documentation management in a collaborative environment: At that time, the whole documentation process would take up a lot of time through different channels and work orders and updates were hard to communicate to various project partners.
Complying to building facility and procedure specifications: Since this company was building a vaccines facility, it had to comply (and continually comply) to specific FDA requirements (that demanded strict compliance to ISO and WHO standards) for good manufacturing practice and monitoring – this was especially hard as building requirements for clean rooms required strict detailing that include even specific angles of the edge of preparation tables and table corners and continuous careful environmental monitoring.
APROPLAN set up a mobile punch list system for their project managers. The tedious manual paperwork (of identifying defect points on hard copies of construction plans that were later on transferred on Excel sheets to produce punch lists to be sent to concerned contracting partners) was replaced with APROPLAN’s digital system that can be accessed through mobile gadgets. APROPLAN allowed defect points to be encoded directly on a mobile gadget while on and off site which then immediately generates and sends punch lists to concerned partners. APROPLAN also delivered construction-specific project documentation mobile solutions with procedures revolving around the management of construction drawings on the APROPLAN platform.
In 2013, a part of the vaccine production facility had a leak and needed to be refurbished in a short period of time. In order to meet the strict ISO and WHO requirements set forth by FDA regulations within a short deadline, the facility had to be renovated according to specifications with a carefully planned environmental monitoring program. APROPLAN was implemented in a new set of processes specific to compliance with the pharmaceutical sector. Currently, there are 200 of their employees using APROPLAN in an integrated content service for the document management of Biologicals’ facilities maintenance.
“The implementation of APROPLAN ensured system parameterization by creating new reports compliant with the pharmaceutical sector requirements”
- The workload of the reception process of the new vaccines unit was reduced by half.
- Manual note taking and unnecessary paperwork has been eliminated and replaced with a digital system cutting time wastage on administrative work by 50%.
- Punch lists became easily generated on and off site and were immediately sent to concerned contractors.
- Latest construction plans and layouts were readily available at all time.
- Project delivery deadlines became apparent and achievable.
- Checklists for compliance to ongoing industry standards and regulations are clearly understood and easily monitored.
Get a customized coaching session
APROPLAN digitizes procedures among all stakeholders and reduces risks by 80%.